PRINTING IN WARSAW IN 1795–1806
The article examines the state of printing in Warsaw over an 11-year period following the fall of the Kościuszko Uprising. The author briefly discusses printing houses closed at the time (run by Tadeusz Podlecki, Fr. Józef Mejer and the Cadet Corps); in addition, he presents a detailed analysis of the state of printing houses that continued their operations as well as new printing houses founded in the 19th century. The most distinguished printing houses from the reign of Stanisław August (including those of Piotr Dufour and Michal Gröll, and Piotr Zawadzki’s matrix shop) did not manage to maintain their status. This was the result of both a new political situation and the death of the owners, whose successors were no match for them in terms of talent or scope of projects undertaken. Among monastic printing houses only the Piarists’ printing houses remained in good condition, printing a number of quality publications in 1795–1806. Among new entities established in the 19th century the one that stood out was the very well equipped printing house founded by Tadeusz Mostowski, the publisher of the „Wybór Pisarzów Polskich” (“Selection of Polish Writers”) series, important for the preservation of the national heritage.
The author analyses the operation of press printing houses (of „Korespondent” and „Gazeta Warszawska”) and engraving houses (of Józef Elsner and Fr. Izydor Cybulski, who printed sheet music, and the engraver Jan Ligber, a book illustrator).
The author questions the existence of Stefan Baccigalupi’s enterprise during the discussed period, because his typefaces and press were used by the „Korespondent” printing house.